Information for international students who need to acquire a social security number (SSN) or a New York State driver's license or identification card.
Social Security Number (SSN)
A Social Security number is a taxpayer identification number issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). 听A Social Security Number is intended to accurately record your earnings in the United States.
Important Note: All new students have to wait at least two weeks after their arrival in the United States to apply for a Social Security Number. You must check-in with OISS and OISS must register you in SEVIS before you can submit an application to the SSA
- Search for, apply for, and obtain a job on campus. To find a job, visit . Most on-campus jobs are posted on the portal.
- Fill out an I-9 form with the Human Resource Department. Bring your passport and visa with you.
- Sign up for a trip to the SSA office in Utica and/or request an employment letter by taking
- Fill out the (For question 5, you should mark "Legal Alien Allowed To Work", and leave 9b and 10b blank unless your parents have Social Security Numbers.)
- Bring your employment letter, , passport, visa (not applicable to Canadians), Form I-20, I-94*, and 澳门六合彩 ID to the Social Security Office.
- Your Social Security card should arrive in 2-4 weeks
- Be sure to check your CU Box when waiting for your card. This is a very important document that is yours forever. Sign the card as soon as you receive it and keep track of your card and number at all times!
- Once you receive your Social Security card, please contact the Payroll Office at 315-228-7803 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a meeting with Ms. Patti Blinebry. When you meet with Ms. Blinebry you鈥檒l need to bring your passport, visa, I-20, I-94, and Social Security card. Either immediately before or after you meet with Ms. Blinebry, you鈥檒l also need to visit the Human Resource Department to give them your Social Security number.
At 澳门六合彩, you may start working on campus without a Social Security card as long as you have completed an I-9 form. However, you cannot be paid until you receive a Social Security card and complete all the above steps.
As a reminder, you are not permitted to work off campus without authorization from the Office of International Students Services and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. Working off-campus without authorization is a violation of F-1 visa status.
Social Security Website
For complete information regarding the Social Security Administration and its processes and requirements, please visit the .
Driver's License and New York State Photo ID
If you are interested in obtaining a learner鈥檚 permit (the first step in getting your driver鈥檚 license) or photo ID, please refer to the for detailed information. You must have either a Social Security number (see above) or fill out , Affidavit stating no social security number.听
You should complete the -44 form. You must present 6 points of identity. For most students this will be:
- Visa (except for Canadian citizens)
- I-20 (bring all old I-20s as well)
- Social Security card or
- 澳门六合彩 ID.听
All documents must be original and not photocopies. See this complete list of all acceptable documents.
To obtain your learner's permit, you must first pass a written test. 听Before taking the test, you should review the . The test should take approximately 30 minutes, depending on your speed.
It is important that you bring all of your documents with you, along with the fully completed ID-44 form. The wait time at the DMV can be very lengthy, and if you do not have the necessary documents or the form completed, they will send you away.
Driving School information
There are several driving schools in the area.
Oneida Driving School
215 Driftwood Dr., Oneida, NY 13421
Gigliotti's Utica Driving School
9396 Roberts Rd., Sauquoit, NY 13456
The driving school information on this page is intended for general informational purposes only. 听OISS is not responsible for the individual communication with these schools nor quality of the services they provide.